Museum Architecture isn’t Always What You Think it is.
Museums are full of beautiful and precious things–which is what you’d hope, because that’s pretty much their job. With all of these beautiful things that museums hold, you probably expect that you’ll have to go into one to get anything from the experience. Well you expected WRONG. The mental image most people get when they think of an art museum is something like a big, marble building with soaring columns, a hundred steps, and giant doors that would fit in just as well on a Gothic cathedral. Sure, a lot of museum architecture fits that description (e.g. the Met and the Philadelphia Museum of Art), but those are mostly the older ones. Plenty of museums have gone up in the last few decades that have a completely different style and I think they will light a match to that mental picture you have of the stuffy art institution. Without further ado, here’s my short list of museum architecture you must see in your lifetime–I would be thrilled if you went in, too, but I won’t push it.
Museum Architecture You Must See
10. The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, NY. Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright (1959).
9. The Salvador Dali Museum, St. Petersburg, FL. Designed by HOK Architects (2011).
8. The National Museum of Art, Osaka. Designed by Cesar Pelli (2004).
7. Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris. Designed by Renzo Piano, Richard Rogers, and Gianfranco Franchini (1977).
6. Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto. Designed by Daniel Libeskind (2007).
5. Museum aan de Stroom, Antwerp. Designed by Neutelings Riedijk Architects (2011).
4. Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao. Designed by Frank Gehry (1997).
3. Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston, MA. Designed by Diller Scofido + Renfro Architects (2006).
2. Hamilton building at the Denver Art Museum, Denver, CO. Designed by Studio Daniel Libeskind and Davis Partnership Architects (2006).
1. Hanoi Museum, Hanoi. Designed by gmp Architekten Architects (2010).
So that’s my top-ten list of museum architecture; is your mind blown yet? Or did I leave out something you love? Sound off in the comments. Go ahead, tell me I’m a moron for not including the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) (Personally, I don’t think it’s the coolest-looking museum in New York, so shoot me).
- 9 Museum Tips You Can Use During Your Next Museum Visit (artsnapper.com)
- World’s most spectacular museums revealed (indiavision.com)
- Architecture in New York City You Must Visit (artsnapper.com)
- Artsnapper’s Summer Art Guide (artsnapper.com)
Share With Your Friends: